Monday, December 17, 2012

Is it wrong not to respond to an SMS?

Is it wrong not to respond to an SMS?

One of the top government officers showed unhappiness to me on account that I did not accept her face book friend request in time.
Many other people also became upset with me on account that I did not respond to their face book updates and never clicked ‘Like’.
The same I experienced with SMS. Everyday, expects if a SMS is seen it should be responded.
Humanly it may not possible to do so. For example, when I was DMA president, I used to send 40000 SMS daily to doctors across the country and never expected each one to reply. If a message comes from a bulk mail service, one is not expected to reply. But what about SMS coming from phone nos.?
Today 200 SMS are allowed to be sent everyday. During this Diwali, I received 900 SMS of Diwali Greetings. It was practically impossible for me to respond to all of them.
In American language, it may be called as lack of etiquette if I do not respond.
That means unknowingly, we hurt the feelings of many people because they feel hurt when not responded and that that the other person is a rude person.
My solution to the above problem comes from the principles of Kshama in Jainism. I often send an email message through my blog or newsletter to 50000 which states as under: “Knowingly or unknowingly in  my action, thought or speech in last one year if I have hurt your consciousness, please forgive me Happy festival”.
The day I say it my consciousness gets cleared and I expect that the consciousness of other who get hurt also gets cleared

No comments:

Post a Comment